[TSC-public] Progress on ELF

Richard Smith rsmith at fhiso.org
Tue Oct 31 20:05:42 CDT 2017

On 31/10/17 19:05, Diedrich Hesmer wrote:

> as one of the GEDCOM-L members and creator of the concerned table let me
> explain DATE2:
> Unfortunately the wording of the explanation is in German and I'm adding
> the English wording
> _DATE2 	FAM.Event   "to-date" End date of an event

I think I can see some point in the _DATE2 tag, though I question why it
is documented here as only occurring in a FAM.Event and not also in a
INDI.Event.  A brief search turns up examples where it is used as an
INDI.Event too, e.g.:

http://www.monicahogg.com/genealogy/prussian/logaandsp.ged

Luther is right, up to a point, when he says:

>> I'm not sure why _DATE2 is needed since GEDCOM dates can already
>> specify ranges.

I think you probably mean a period rather than a range, as periods in
GEDCOM are things that denote a extended event or state, whereas a range
gives bounds on a specific but unknown date.

The problem is that the GEDCOM period microformat is quite restricted.
I can say

0 INDI
1 OCCU Software engineer
2 DATE FROM 2000 TO 2007

but I cannot say say

0 INDI
1 OCCU Software engineer
2 DATE FROM ABT 2000 TO AFT 2007

Arguably there's no good reason for this limitation, but it exists all
the same.  The _DATE2 tag allow me to write

0 INDI
1 OCCU Software engineer
2 DATE ABT 2000
2 _DATE2 AFT 2007

This is better for compatibility than extending the date microformat,
which is presumably why _DATE2 was introduced.

--
Richard Smith,                       FHISO   <http://fhiso.org/>
FHISO Technical Co-Coordinator       One Community, One Standard