[TSC-public] Progress on ELF

Diedrich Hesmer dhesmer at gmx.de
Tue Oct 31 14:05:26 CDT 2017

Hi Nick and Luther,

as one of the GEDCOM-L members and creator of the concerned table let me
explain DATE2:
Unfortunately the wording of the explanation is in German and I'm adding
the English wording
_DATE2 	FAM.Event 	0
	'bis-Datum', also Endedatum eines Ereignisses
"to-date" End date of an event
	Wert wie bei DATE
value same as DATE
	PAF, AQ3, Ancestry Family Tree, Family Trees Quick & Easy, Heritage
Family Tree Deluxe, PhpGedView

As you can see, only programs outside GEDCOM-L is using this.

Am 31.10.17 um 18:52 schrieb Nick Hall:
> On 31/10/17 13:06, Luther Tychonievich wrote:
>> GEDCOM-L has a nice list of which programs have used which tags (only
>> in their german-language site):
>>
>> http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/GEDCOM/_Nutzerdef-Tag
>>
>> Some they note as being used by five or more programs include
>>
>> NAME._AKA (also known as)
>> Fam.(Event)._DATE2 (I didn't follow the description and haven't seen
>> enough in the wind to know)
>> INDI._GODP (god parent)
>> INDI.NAME._MARNM (married name)
>> INDI._MILT (military service)
>> FAM.CHIL._MREL (relationship to parents)
>> OBJE._PRIM (I didn't follow the description and haven't seen enough
>> in the wind to know)
>> FAM._STAT (status)
>> INDI.NAME._RUFNAME (common given name, as underlined in official
>> German documents)
>> *._UID (UUID, with variable meaning as noted elsewhere in this thread)
>>

> The standard NAME.TYPE tag should probably be used in preference to
> the NAME._AKA or INDI.NAME._MARNM tags.
>
> I'm not sure why _DATE2 is needed since GEDCOM dates can already
> specify ranges.
>
> Gramps assumes that the first media object in a list is the primary
> object.  This could be considered instead of the OBJE._PRIM tag.
Not only GRAMPS, but also AQ3, PAF5, Leg, FO7, FTB, Stammbaumdrucker

> Including the other tags in ELF is a good idea.  You should also
> consider one of the medical tags, and perhaps a political/elected tag
> and an academic/degree tag.
>
> I also note that FAM.CHIL._MREL and FAM.CHIL._FREL seem to be more
> widespread than the INDI.FAMC._MREL and INDI.FAMC._FREL that Gramps
> uses.  It would be useful of ELF provided guidance on which version to
> use.
>
> Nick.

best regards
Diedrich (Hesmer)