[TSC-public] Progress on ELF / user defined tags

Richard Smith rsmith at fhiso.org
Sun Oct 29 12:52:34 CDT 2017

On 28/10/17 19:47, Albert Emmerich wrote:
> 1. I do not know any program which cannot handle GEDCOM files with
> "unknown" tags. The most common reactions are to ignore, to wrap in
> NOTE, and/or to create a problem list for the import.

Thanks.  That's good to know.

> 2. I will discuss this with the Gedom-L group. I think we will propose
> to add some more tags to this group.

A submission of that sort from the GEDCOM-L group would be most welcome.

> I agree to your point with _UID. The Gedcom-L group has different
> solutions within the group, and we have not agreed for a common solution
> how to handle this. However most programs of the group use _UID.

Searching through my rough list on ideas for ELF, I see I've noted a
second and arguably more serious concern with _UID.  Presumably its
purpose is to provide a globally unique identifiers for records so that
they can be identified and merged if they are exported and reimported,
but I've never seen that stated definitively software vendors who uses
_UID.

If this supposed motivation is correct, it only works if there are
agreed semantics on the ownership of UUIDs.  Suppose I send a copy of my
work to another researcher.  Some time later I notice an error.  What I
thought was one person was in fact two, so I delete some facts from the
individual already in my tree and create a second individual with them.
This may happen over a period of time if I realise there is an error
some time before working out what exactly is wrong.  Perhaps the
researcher I sent my work to reaches a similar conclusion but splits the
record in the other way, so now I have UUIDs X and Y, while the other
researcher has X and Z, however my X corresponds to his Z and his X to
my Y.  We need to prevent this, and, so far as I know, there is no
current understanding in place that does so.

--
Richard Smith,                       FHISO   <http://fhiso.org/>
FHISO Technical Co-Coordinator       One Community, One Standard