[TSC-public] Progress on ELF / user defined tags

Albert Emmerich Emmerich.Albert at t-online.de
Sat Oct 28 13:47:50 CDT 2017

1. I do not know any program which cannot handle GEDCOM files with
"unknown" tags. The most common reactions are to ignore, to wrap in
NOTE, and/or to create a problem list for the import.

2. I will discuss this with the Gedom-L group. I think we will propose
to add some more tags to this group.

I agree to your point with _UID. The Gedcom-L group has different
solutions within the group, and we have not agreed for a common solution
how to handle this. However most programs of the group use _UID.

3. ok.

4. We had a discussion in our group about how to handle _MARN, however I
do not know how often it is used. I do know about _MREL and _FREL in
Family Tree Maker declaring the relationship of a child to its parents,
which makes a lot of headaches as the program Family Tree Maker does not
import correctly GEDCOM standard files using PEDI, however every
relation is put to _MREL natural, _FREL natural, which often is the
wrong information. Every FTM file has theses tags in FAM records; and
the information should be formed by PEDI in the INDI record of the child.

Albert