[TSC-public] Progress on ELF

Luther Tychonievich tychonievich at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:41:34 CDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Nick Hall <nick-h at gramps-project.org>
 wrote:

> On 27/10/17 18:12, Louis Kessler wrote:
>
>> Also, the following tags are of concern and are seen "in the wild" and
>> used or misused occasionally.  What is ELF's position on these:   AKA,
>> _AKA, URL, _URL, WITN, _WITN
>>

> Yes.  You will also see the following, and more, "in the wild":
>
> _COMM, _FREL _MREL, _GODP, _PRIV, _JUST, _PRIM, _UID

In general, non-documented tags appearing in the wild (and documented tags
appearing out of place) are an expected part of GEDCOM, permitted in the
specification, and we do not plan to change that (it would be a breaking
change .  We have discussed (many times, since long before we discussed
ELF) creating a dictionary of these extensions, and some of the work we are
doing now is anticipated to make that more feasible and useful (as will the
several previous efforts to aggregate extension tags, including GEDCOM-L).
However, we likely won't include most (if any) extensions we've seen "in
the wild" in the initial release: only official ones and ones we feel
necessary to enable future extensions.