[TSC-announce] New public drafts for underlying concepts released

Luther Tychonievich ltychonievich at fhiso.org
Fri Mar 16 14:59:51 CDT 2018

The Technical Standing Committee is happy to announce that several drafts
have reached the point of public draft release.

Since our last public releases in September 2016, we have been working to
resolve issues identified in the last set of drafts and provide a firm
foundation for additional future extensions.  This release primarily
provides a foundation layer on which future public-facing standards can be
built.

Work continues on a full Citation Elements Vocabulary, on the Extended
Legacy Format (ELF, a document model and file format we hope will be fully
compatible with current uses of GEDCOM 5.5.1 but more readily extended, as
discussed in the thread "Progress on ELF" last October <
http://fhiso.org/pipermail/tsc-public_fhiso.org/2017-October/thread.html>),
and bindings for Citation Elements in both ELF and GEDCOM-X.  However, in
working on these it became clear that a variety of additional foundational
mechanisms were needed, which foundations are presented in the current set
of drafts.  While this material is not exciting, we are excited by the
position these drafts put us in to be able to make more coherent progress
on other, more inherently exciting standards.

The following drafts have reached the point where we would like broader
comments, similar to the comment solicitations made on previous drafts of
"Citation Elements: General Concepts" and "Citation Elements: Bindings for
RDFa" that we circulated last June and September and "A microformat for
creator's names" we circulated in April 2016.  The three new and two
updated drafts are:

*Basic Concepts for Genealogical Standards* <
https://fhiso.org/TR/basic-concepts>

This is the first draft of a new standard which defines various low-level
concepts, including those relating to our use of strings and IRIs.  It also
defines the abstract foundations of our data model. This is content which
will be used in many FHISO standards and so does not logically belong in
any one particular higher-level standard.

*Simple Triples Discovery Mechanism* <https://fhiso.org/TR/triples-discovery

Another first draft.  This defines a simple, general-purpose discovery
mechanism which provides a means for internet-connected applications to
access information on any unfamiliar third-party extensions which they may
encounter.

*The Pattern Datatype* <https://fhiso.org/TR/patterns>

Another first draft.  This defines a dialect of regular expressions that is
readily handled by many different regular expression engines, suitable for
use in discovery and basic datatype validation.

*Citation Elements: General Concepts* <https://fhiso.org/TR/cev-concepts>

The third draft of a standard defining the general concepts used in FHISO's
suite of Citation Elements standards, and the basic framework and data
model underpinning them.  Some material from the second draft has been
moved to Basic Concepts where it can be reused, and the definitions of many
components have been tightened up significantly so they can be used with
discovery; however, this draft does not include any major changes to the
data model.

*Citation Elements: Bindings for RDFa* <
https://fhiso.org/TR/cev-rdfa-bindings>

Another third draft.  This standard defines a means by which citation
elements may be identified and tagged using RDFa attributes within
formatted citations written in HTML or XML, allowing an application to
recover them in a systematic manner.  This draft includes no major changes
other than the addition of a new overview to processing RDFa.

A list of current drafts can be accessed at <http://tech.fhiso.org/drafts/>.
Ongoing development occurs in the open on <http://github.com/fhiso>.  We
welcome any and all comments on these on the tsc-public mailing list <
http://tech.fhiso.org/tsc-public>, and as always invite anyone who would
like to be more directly involved in writing and revising documents to let
the TSC know.

--
Luther Tychonievich,
FHISO Technical Coordinator