[TSC-announce] Updated Citation Elements drafts

Richard Smith rsmith at fhiso.org
Mon Sep 11 07:27:57 CDT 2017

A little over two months ago we released our first two draft standards
on Citation Elements: one on General Concepts such as the data model,
the other giving RDFa bindings for tagging citation elements in HTML
formatted citations.  This generated some very useful discussion which
identified many places where the documents could be improved.   Most
consequentially, we agreed to change the following three points:

1. Remove the notion of a layer identifier and defer metadata support
for the time being.

2. Change all our http: IRIs to https: due to security and privacy concerns.

3. Expand the notion of a translation set into a more general
localisation set to allow a combination of structured and unstructured
values.

We have now applied these changes, and have also added significantly to
the number of examples and explanatory notes in the documents.  The new
documents can be found linked from our public drafts page:

    https://tech.fhiso.org/drafts/

It has taken some time to make these changes, partly because of holidays
and other intrusions of real life, but mostly because the change to
localisation sets had significant consequences elsewhere in the data
model, many of which we discussed at length on the tsc-public mailing
list back in July, though others only came to light during the
redrafting process.

We welcome any and all comments on these drafts on the tsc-public
mailing list

   http://tech.fhiso.org/tsc-public

and as always invite anyone who would like to be more directly involved
in writing and revising documents to let the TSC know.

--
Richard Smith,                       FHISO   <http://fhiso.org/>
FHISO Technical Co-Coordinator       One Community, One Standard