[TSC-public] Core Concepts Exploratory Group(s)

Thomas Wetmore ttw4 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 30 02:11:26 CDT 2014

Here is how I would describe the goal of the core concepts group.

To define the core concepts and data models required to support the transport and archival of genealogical data.

I define genealogical data to be the information that pertains to persons, their intrinsic and extrinsic properties, the events in their lives, and the relationships they have with other persons.

The core concepts must include the sources of the information, the data (aka "facts" and "evidence") extracted from the sources, and the conclusions reached from the extracted data.

I use the word genealogy to include the events that define the biological relationships between persons (the "classical" definition of genealogy), but to extend to any other events and relationships that a researcher considers relevant in persons' lives. To extend to these other aspects the core concepts must include things like dates and places, but also such entities such as churches, cemeteries, courts, employers, military units, ships, and so on.

For me it is not an issue whether we call this genealogy or family history [though it would be ironic to call it family history and to decide that the family is not a core concept!].

For me the key requirement is to be able to have a standard way to record both my evidence and my conclusions. Because GEDCOM handles sources and conclusions quite well, it had been my hope that BetterGEDCOM would take on the task of essentially extending GEDCOM's data model to include evidence information. That hope is now transferred to FHISO.

I do not include administrative data -- correspondence logs, todo lists, trip reports, etc, in my list of core concepts, though others may.

I would say that the key decisions of the group are going to be deciding what its domain should be (classic genealogy, "family history" as defined above, or something more extensive), and what its position on evidence is going to be (define a conclusion only model, or include evidence in the model).

Tom Wetmore