[TSC-public] Commencement of the Core Concept Exploratory Group

Richard Smith rsmith at fhiso.org
Tue Sep 23 11:41:14 CDT 2014

We are pleased to announce that the Core Concepts Exploratory Group
(CCEG) is now fully organized and ready to begin its exploratory work.
There are currently four members of CCEG lead by Justin York, who the
TSC have appointed Coordinator of the group.  Justin says:

      "Work in the CCEG will be carried out in two phases. First we will
document and analyze how existing formats model persons, events, and
relationships. The analysis will include an unbiased discussion of the
strengths and weaknesses of the approach. In the second phase we will
use all of the information we have gathered to discuss and generate a
formal project team proposal to guide the FHISO's future standard
development process in these areas.

      "We have a repository in Github where we will maintain our fork
regarding the first phase. Github was chosen due to its simple
collaboration features and its ability to handle markdown.

      "The repository was seeded with mostly empty files for 6 well
known models. The files in the GEDCOM folder were filled out a little
bit more than the others to show how the analysis could be structured,
though we're not restricted to that format. I expect our analysis to go
beyond the 6 initial models. Feel free to suggest additions via the
mailing list or a pull request on Github. BetterGedcom has a good list
of additional models and can even serve as a starting place for
documentation.

      "If you would like to assist in documenting or analyzing a model,
we suggest that you tell us on the core concepts mailing list so that
you can coordinate with others also interested in working on that model.
  Otherwise you might duplicate work that is currently being done.

      "We do not know how long the CCEG work will take. We will take all
the time we need since our work will have a strong bearing on almost all
future work of FHISO.

      "Thank you for your support of the CCEG."

If you wish to follow the work of the CCEG, you can subscribe to their
mailing list:

In due course, there will the opportunity to discuss any subject
included in the group's remit on the list, but the members of the CCEG
may wish to defer discussion on certain topics to a future date so that
the group can remain focused on its present work.

The GitHub repository Justin mentioned can be viewed here:

      https://github.com/fhiso/core-concepts-eg

Richard Smith                    rsmith at fhiso.org
FHISO Technical Standing Committee Co-Coordinator