[TSC-public] Filing Sources

Jan Murphy packrat74 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 12:11:41 CST 2014


Thank you, Sue!  I need to make a list of what was passed down to me, and
your post is a good reminder.  The US National Archives just had a
three-day virtual fair with live streams, and while I was in the chat room,
I asked one of the organizers if we could have a session about "being your
own archivist" in a future fair.

Yes, I agree completely.   If I say "RG14 / 18172 / 25" to anyone who does
research in the UK, it is instantly recognizable as a census reference.  I
store my digital images for that census year all in the same folder marked
"1911 Census RG 14" under my main folder for census records.  The only
exception I make is that I separate the 1841 and 1851 images which both
have HO reference numbers.

I have software which allows me as an end-user to catalog my books, CD, and
DVDs, but to date, I haven't been able to find anything to help me organize
the documents which I have collected.  People tend to say "well why don't
you just use the book collecting software to do it?" or "why do you need a
catalog, just use search on the computer to find the file", totally
ignoring the fact that you can't find a file if you don't remember what its
filename is.   As you say, the 'tyranny of bibliographic thinking'.

Jan

Jan Murphy
packrat74 at gmail.com


On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Family Folk <familyfolklore at gmail.com>
wrote:

>
>  On 03/11/2014 01:45, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>
> Jan,
>
> As an end-user, I can't really speak to what Family Historian does
> 'underneath the hood'.
>
> That's true, but the real problem as I see it is that like most GEDCOM
> based programs, it was designed around GEDCOM structures, and because of
> that, it confronts you, user, with GEDCOM entities. You are confronted with
> repositories, sources, and citations, the latter sometimes called master
> source and source details, because of the underlying design. In other
> words, when it comes to the things that you work with, the stuff under that
> hood is all too visible, creating a complexity that is not well understood
> outside the desktop genealogy software world. Archives don't work like
> that. They're way more like what you see in EE.
>
>
> Finally, someone has noticed the importance of archives!  And we would do
> well to pay close attention to how archivists handle information about
> thier collections.  Archival accession, arrangement and description
> processes cover much of the same ground as genealogist's evaluation of
> sources.  If you need a quick introduction to archival principles, this
> blog post should help:
> Provenance of a Personal Collection – Archival Accession, Arrangement
> and Description
> <https://familyfolklore.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/provenance-of-a-personal-collection-archival-accession-arrangement-and-description/>
>
> Archival catalogues are multi-level hierarchies because that is the best
> solution available.  There are several international and widely adopted
> archival standards that we should borrow from e.g. ISAD
> <http://www.ica.org/10207/standards/isadg-general-international-standard-archival-description-second-edition.html>.
> To my mind a formatted citation is a short abstract of the archival
> catalogue, so needs to accomodate information held at different
> hierarchical levels.
>
> In this respect, archival catalogues differ from bibliographic catalogues,
> which don't have hierarchies.  I believe EE was sustantially influenced by
> the Chicago Manual of Style, a bibliographic standard.  For my taste, EE is
> too bibliographic in character.  In the USA, the Family History Library,
> which is a stange hybrid, being a library of microfilms that contain
> archival records, has been highly influential for decades.  I think that
> has shaped the thinking of many along bibliographic lines.
>
> I contend that all sources are ultimately archival in nature.  I might
> start ranting about the 'tyranny of bibliographic thinking'.
>
> *Sue Adams*
>
> *Family Folk*
> Web: familyfolk.co.uk
> Blog: Family Folklore Blog <http://familyfolklore.wordpress.com/>
>
> [image: Family Folk logo]
>
> _______________________________________________
> TSC-public mailing list
> TSC-public at fhiso.org
> http://fhiso.org/mailman/listinfo/tsc-public_fhiso.org
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://fhiso.org/pipermail/tsc-public_fhiso.org/attachments/20141103/755714b9/attachment.html>


More information about the TSC-public mailing list